The arms were officially granted on June 2, 1926.
The white shield has two red bars, the arms of the de Lancaster barons of Kendal. Over this is placed an apple tree, for the county town of Appleby.
Thus both the north and south of the county are suggested.
The crest is a the head of a local breed of ram. The wool hook on the ram’s forehead is found in the unofficial arms of the town of Kendal.
Undated Westmoreland (now Cumbria) Kendal Halfpenny Conder Token
Obverse: Cypher of R&D crested by a lion: KENDAL.
Reverse: A man-of-war ship in full sail to right: THE GUARD & GLORY OF BRITAIN.
Edge: PAYABLE IN DUBLIN OR LONDON.
D&H Westmoreland No: 5a. Diameter 30mm