Kent

Kent

County

The arms were officially granted on 17 October 1933 and re-confirmed in 1975.

The white horse of Kent is supposedly the old symbol for the Saxon kingdom of Kent, dating from the 6-8th century. The crest shows a mural crown, which symbolises the many castles in the county, as well as the independent Saxon kingdom of Kent. The sails are symbols for the strong ties of the county with the sea and stand for the navy, the mercantile marine and fisheries.The sea lions are also a symbol for the strong ties with the navy, the lion being the British lion. The sea lions also symbolise that Kent is the frontier of Britain with continental Europe.

The right supporter wears the arms of the Cinque Ports, five harbour cities that had to provide support for the English navy until modern times. Four of these cities are in Kent. The arms are three lions with ship hulls as tails.

The left supporter wears a shield with the arms of the Archbishopric of Canterbury, founded in 597 by St. Augustine.

The motto means ‘unconquered’. In 1067, shortly after the Norman Conquest (1066, as every schoolboy knows), a detachment of Kentishmen ambushed the newly crowned King William and surrounded him. In return for his life, he promised that the county would be able to keep its ancient privileges – thus Kent was the only part of England unconquered by the Normans (that is, according to legend).

Appledore

1794 Kent Appledore Peckham Conder Halfpenny Token

Obverse: A man carrying a sack to a windmill. THE UNION OF APPLEDORE KENT. 1794.

Reverse: A lion and lamb lying together in standing corn. PEACE INNOCENCE AND PLENTY.

Edge: PAYABLE AT W. PECKHAM’S APPLEDORE . X . X . X .

Engraver: Wyon   Manufacturer: Lutwyche   Proprietor: W. Peckham

D&H Kent No. 3 A. 2

Benenden

1794 Kent Benenden Reeves Conder Halfpenny Token

Obverse: A wheatsheaf. PEACE AND PLENTY.

Reverse: Shield of arms, BENEHDEN HALFPENNY. 1 7 9 4 .

Edge: PAYABLE BY THOMAS REEVES BENENDEN + + +

Engraver: Wyon   Manufacturer: Lutwyche   Proprietor: T Reeves

D&H Kent No. 4 A. 3

Rated as S ‘Scarce’ in D&H

Brookland

1794 Kent Brookland Conder Halfpenny Token

Obverse: The Armorial device of Kent consisting of a prancing horse within an oval border of pellets with legend: “KENT HALFPENNY PAYABLE AT.”

Reverse: A cypher T  K, over it a fleece. GROCER AND DRAPER.   1794

Edge: PAYABLE THOMAS KING’S BROOKLAND + .  +  . +  . +

Thomas King was a grocer and draper in Brookland, a village not far from Appledore.

Engraver: Arnold   Manufacturer: Lutwyche   Proprietor: T. King

D&H Kent No. 5 A. 4

Canterbury

Although first registered at the College of Heralds in 1619, Canterbury’s coat of arms is medieval in origin and appeared on official documents as long ago as 1380.

Canterbury’s links with Royalty – it has been a royal city since at least the 6th century – are denoted by the heraldic leopard, whilst the three black choughs are taken from the arms ascribed to Thomas Becket.

1794 Kent Canterbury Conder Halfpenny Token

Obverse: A side view of Canterbury Cathedral. UNITY PEACE AND CONCORD : GOOD WILL TO ALL MEN

Reverse: Shield of arms of the city of Canterbury. PROTECTION TO OUR KING AND COUNTRY LAWS AND TRADE

Edge: PAYABLE AT JOHN MATHEWS + + + +

Engraver: Dixon   Manufacturer: Lutwyche   Proprietor: J. Matthew

D&H Kent No. 6 A. 5

1794 Kent Canterbury Conder Halfpenny Token

Obverse: A side view of Canterbury Cathedral. UNITY PEACE AND CONCORD : GOOD WILL TO ALL MEN

Reverse: Shield of arms of the city of Canterbury. PROTECTION TO OUR KING AND COUNTRY LAWS AND TRADE

Edge: PAYABLE AT JAMES ROBERTSONS + + + +

Engraver: Dixon   Manufacturer: Lutwyche   Proprietor: J. Matthew

D&H Kent No. 7 A. 6

Deal

The arms were officially granted on March 4, 1968.

The arms are derived from the town’s seal, in turn this was based upon the arms of the Cinque Ports, Deal being a non-corporate member of Sandwich. Deal’s charter of incorporation in 1699 is unique within the Confederation in specifying that the town’s seal should show the arms of the Cinque Ports. The silver oar is the symbol of the authority of the Admiral of the Cinque Ports.

The two towers were previously used, placed above the arms of Sandwich, the town’s Head Port. The towers almost certainly derive from those upon the mayoral seal, which also dates from 1699. They were said to represent Sandown and Deal castles on the northern and southern edges of the town, although neither was in the original Borough of Deal.

The centurion alludes to Deal being the approximate site of the Roman invasion of 55BC and the Royal Marine, is a reminder of the service’s centuary of association with the town.

The motto is a reference to Deal’s lifeboatmen and fishermen who, over the centuries, have saved many lives at sea.

1794 Kent Deal Conder Halfpenny Token

Obverse: Man-of-war with open gun ports, in full sail to right with legend: THE GUARD & GLORY OF G’ BRITAIN

Reverse: Arms of the Borough of Sandwich within whose area Deal is situated, three half lions, half ship hulks in shield above crossed oak branches with legend: DEAL HALFPENNY TOKEN 1794

Edge: PAYABLE AT RICHARD LONG’S LIBRARY .X.

Richard Long was a bookseller in Deal and also kept a library which was opened about the time the token was issued.

Engraver: Wyon   Manufacturer: Lutwyche   Proprietor: R. Long

D&H Kent No. 11

Deptford

Deptford had no official coat of arms, but the armorial device used by the Council symbolised interesting events in the history of the Borough. The three black Cornish choughs in the first quarter and the white horse in the fourth represented the two counties in which Deptford was situated geographically, Surrey and Kent. The choughs are from the arms of the Earl of Onslow, a prominent landowner in Surrey, while the horse comes from the arms of the County of Kent.

The golden ship on the stocks in the second quarter symbolises the famous Royal Dockyard founded by Henry VIII, and the figure in the third quarter is that of Peter the Great of Russia, seated on a log and holding a shipwright’s adze. This recalls his visit to England to learn shipbuilding and naval architecture in 1698, during which he stayed at Sayes Court, the Deptford home of the diarist John Evelyn.

The dolphins used as supporters and the tridents behind the shield also symbolise Deptford’s long and intimate association with the sea.

1795 Kent Deptford Conder Halfpenny Token

Obverse: Kentish men meeting William the Conqueror with legend: KENTISH LIBERTY PRESERVED BY VIRTUE & COURAGE.

Reverse: A stern view of the man-of-war “Royal George” with legend: PROSPERITY TO THE WOODEN WALLS OF OLD ENGLAND, KENT HALFPENNY 1795 TDH.

Edge: PAYABLE AT THO’s HAYCRAFTS DEPTFORD

Engraver: Mynd   Proprietor: Thomas Heycroft, ironmonger

D&H Kent No. 13

Dimchurch

1794 Kent Dimchurch Conder Halfpenny Token

Obverse: A cypher W.P., crest a lamb, ROMNEY MARSH HALFPENNY.

Reverse: Figure of Justice standing. FOR THE HONOUR AND USE OF TRADE

Edge: PAYABLE AT W. PARRIS DIMCHURCH  . X . X . X .

William Parris was a freeholder in Dimchurch

Artist: Wyon   Manufacturer: Lutwyche

Listed in Dalton & Hamer as “SCARCE”

D&H Kent No. 15

Dover

The arms were officially granted on October 19, 1987.

The District of Dover contains three of the Cinque Ports, Deal, Dover and Sandwich. It is appropriate that the arms should be based on the Cinque Ports shield, divided into three by waves.

The crest has the white horse of Kent, made distinctive by a tower taken from Deal’s crest.

The supporters are again the white horse of Kent, made into seahorses and with the distinctive addition of a naval crown and sword to signify the historic importance of Dover to the defence of England.

1794 Kent Dover Halfpenny Conder Token

Obverse: Bust of William Pitt, the then Prime Minister, to right: THE R. HON. W. PITT. LORD WARDEN CINQUE PORTS

Reverse: Arms consisting of a halved shield on which there is firstly, a mounted rider passing the portcullis of a castle and a man kneeling with outstretched arms in supplication. Facing is a single-masted sailing ship, it’s sails furled with pennant and flag flying: CINQUE PORTS TOKEN PAYABLE AT DOVER 1794

Edge: AT HORN’S LIBRARY. The remainder engrailed

William Pitt was appointed Constable of Dover and Warden of the Cinque Ports by Patent on 18th August 1792

D&H No. 16 Diameter 29.2 mm

1794 Kent Dover Halfpenny Conder Token

Obverse: Bust of William Pitt, the then Prime Minister, to right: THE R. HON. W. PITT. LORD WARDEN CINQUE PORTS

Reverse: A ship sailing, THE WOODEN WALLS OF OLD ENGLAND

Edge: PAYABLE IN LANCASTER LONDON OR BRISTOL

William Pitt was appointed Constable of Dover and Warden of the Cinque Ports by Patent on 18th August 1792

Rated as ‘R’ Rare in D&H

D&H No. 18 A. 18

Faversham

The arms above are for the town council. The former borough had no official arms.

1794 Kent Faversham Halfpenny Conder Token

Obverse: Shield of arms of the Cinque Ports. CINQUE PORTS HALFPENNY 1794

Reverse: An ancient sloop. PAYABLE AT FEVERSHAM

Edge: PAYABLE AT IOHN CROWSS COPPER SMITH x . x

John Crow was a brazier [edge reading in error]

D&H No. 20 Diameter  mm

Engraver – Dixon  Manufacturer – Lutwyche

Folkestone

1811 Kent Folkestone Boxer Silver Shilling Token

Obverse: Arms. CINQ . PORT . TOKEN IOHN BOXER FOLKESTONE 1811

Reverse: ONE SHILLING VALUE

Dalton 1

Godington

Undated Kent Godington ‘Halfpenny’ Conder Token, cast

Obverse: Crest of the Toke family within a broad rim

Reverse: Blank

Edge: Plain

D&H Kent No. 25

Rated as R “Rare” in D&H

In the MS. notes of the Rev. W. R. Hay, M.A., Vicar of Rochdale, is the following:—”The History of Mr. Toke’s Hop Sixpence.—In 1767, a remarkably fine hop year, Mr. Harrison,  Attorney General of Jamaica, was on a visit at Goddington, where, during the hop-picking season, he was so much struck with the novelty of the scene and the busy employment of so many persons collected on the occasion, that on his return to London he had a dye (sic) made in commemoration of a circumstance that had given him so much pleasure, and sent down 500 sixpences to Mr. Toke, which have been used ever since that time to supply the scarcity of silver. Before the year 1767 a copper token, marked I.T., was used for the same purpose.”
The writer of this record overlooked the fact that an obverse as well as a reverse die were necessary to enable the tokens of 1767 to be struck. It is interesting to note that, though without anyindication of value, they passed current as sixpence.
By a query in the Kentish Express, the editor states, on the authority of Colonel Toke, that some doubt exists whether the Godington Tokens had any fixed value as money, as the price paid for hop-picking varies nearly every year; and suggests that they were used as “tallies” or “checks,” to represent bushels or baskets of hops picked, and were afterwards exchanged for coin, at the price for
the year per bushel or basket. The late Mr. Edward Greenhill, when he lived at Chilmington Green Farm, had a large number of these Godington Hop Tokens, and used them in his gardens as “pickers’
tallies.”
The note by the Rev. W. R. Hay suggests “checks” or “tallies,” rather than currency, by the statement that ”before the year 1767 a copper token was used for the same purpose, marked L.T.” Obviously a copper or brass token as the specimens referred to, would only be accepted as of currency value to the extent of sixpence when and where it was known that such exchange could be effected.

Goudhurst

1794 Kent Goudhurst Halfpenny Conder Token

Obverse: Kentish horse prancing to the left with legend: KENT HALFPENNY TOKEN 1794

Reverse: Shield of arms of the City of Canterbury with legend: FOR GENERAL CONVENIENCE

Edge : PAYABLE BY W. FUGGLES GOUDHURST .X.X.X.X

William Fuggle was a freeholder and tallow chandler with a business in Goudhurst.

This token corrected the miss-spelled error of the previous issue.

Listed in Bell’s “Commercial Coins 1747-1804” as “SCARCE”

Engraver: Arnold   Manufacturer: Lutwyche   Proprietor: W. Fuggles

D&H Kent No: 28a. Diameter 28.4mm

Hawkhurst

1794 Kent Hawkhurst Halfpenny Conder Token

Obverse: A cypher C.H., crest a wheatsheaf. HAWKEURST HALFPENNY PAYABLE AT

Reverse: The Kentish horse in a shield. JUSTICE & CONFIDENCE THE BASIS OF TRADE.

Edge : CHARLES HIDER’S. The remainder milled.

D&H Kent No: 30

Hythe

1794 Kent Hyth(e) Halfpenny Conder Token

Obverse: Shield of arms of the Cinque Ports. CINQUE PORTS HALFPENNY 1794

Reverse: An ancient sloop. PAYABLE AT HYTH

Edge: AT RICHARD SHIPDEN’S . X . X . X . X . X

D&H No. 31 Diameter 29 mm

Engraver – Arnold  Manufacturer – Lutwyche

Lamberhurst

1794 Kent Lamberhurst Halfpenny Conder Token

Obverse: View of hops and man working at a hop bin with legend: “MAY HOPS FOREVER FLOURISH”.

Reverse: The Foster family shield of arms consisting of three stag’s heads on a diagonal banner, all between crossed laurel branches with legend: “SUSSEX HALFPENNY TOKEN 1794”.

Edge: “PAYABLE BY T. FOSTER LAMBERHURST ++++++”.

Thomas Foster was a freeholder at Lamberhurst and probably a hop gardener. Lamberhurst is on the Kent/Sussex border, therefore this could be attributed to either county.

D&H Kent No: 34. Diameter 29.2mm

1794 Kent Lamberhurst Halfpenny Conder Token

Obverse:  Coat of arms, possibly that of the City of Chichester with legend: FOR CHANGE NOT FRAUD. Lamberhurst is on the Kent/Sussex border, therefore this could be attributed to either county.

Reverse: Arms of the City of Canterbury with legend: “KENT HALFPENNY TOKEN. 1794

Edge: PAYABLE BY I. GIBBS LAMBERHURST

D&H Kent No: 35. Diameter 28.4mm

Maidstone

Arms recorded (without tinctures) at the Visition of 17th August 1619. Arms confirmed and crest and supporters granted on June 30, 1949. Granted again in November 26, 1987.

The wavy fess represents the River Medway and the red roundels are from the arms of Archbishop Courtenay, who built All Saints Church, at the end of the fourteenth century. The lion is that of England.

The mural crown represents municipal government and the horse’s head recalls the arms of the Kent County Council. The hops refer to the produce for which the district is famous.

The Iguanodon refers to the town’s prehistoric background, a complete skeleton of this creature having been found within the Borough. The Lion is derived from that in the arms. The supporters originally had scrolls hanging from the collars about their necks bearing the dates 1549, when Maidstone received its first charter of incorporation and 1949, the 400th anniversary.

1795 Kent Maidstone Figure of Justice Conder Halfpenny Token

Obverse: Shield of arms of Maidstone between two native supporters who are each holding a crescent aloft with legend: “MAIDSTONE HALFPENNY”.

Reverse: Figure of Justice standing, THE SPRING OF FREEDOM ENGLANDS BLESSING. Ex : KENT.

Edge: PAYABLE BY HENRY OLIVERS + +

D&H Kent 36

Henry Oliver was a cutler.

Engraver—DIXON. Manufacturer—LUTYVYCHE.

1795 Kent Maidstone Padsole Paper Mill Conder Halfpenny Token

James Smyth’s Maidstone (Kent) copper Conder halfpenny token dated 1795.

Obverse: Shield of arms of Maidstone between two native supporters who are each holding a crescent aloft with legend: “MAIDSTONE HALFPENNY”.

Reverse: Detailed front view of a paper mill with garlands above and below with legend: “PAYABLE BY J. SMYTH AT PADSOLE PAPER MILL”.

Edge: Diagonally milled.

James Smyth appears to have been the proprietor of the Padsole Paper Mill.

D&H Kent No: 37. Diameter 28.5mm.

Note that the name is SMYTH. Pye engraves it as such, but in the index has SMITH. Denton engraves it as SMITH, and Conder describes it as such. James Smith is recorded in the Universal
British Directory as being Agent to the Sun Fire Office. The writer of the ” Bazaar Notes ” states that SMYTH is the correct form.

Romney

The arms were officially recorded at the visitation of 1619.

1794 Kent Romney Sawyer Halfpenny Conder Token

Obverse: The Arms of the town of New Romney with legend: “ROMNEY HALFPENNY TOKEN 1794”.

Reverse: An antique single-masted sailing boat above crossed laurel branches with legend: “THE SUCCESS”.

Edge inscription: “PAYABLE AT IOHN SAWYER’S ROMNEY *X*”.

Listed in Bell’s “Commercial Coins 1787-1804” as “SCARCE”. John Sawyer was a Freeholder with a business as a joiner and carpenter in Romney.

Artist – Wyon  Manufacturer – Lutwyche

D&H Kent No. 38 Diameter 29.6mm

Sandwich

The arms were recorded at the Visitation 1574.

The arms are almost identical to those of the Confederation of the Cinque Ports, where the hulls are usually shown gold. The arms probably date from the 13th century and are the best known example of the earliest effort made to include two arms in one shield by “dimidiation”.

Undated Kent Sandwich Conder Halfpenny Token

Obverse: An early medieval single-masted English round ship (sloop), with banners flying fore and aft, at sea. There are three men on deck, two forward, one holding a battle axe and the other a flag, and a third in the stern, and two others kneeling on the yard arm at either side of the mast. A boat is carried amidships with legend: “SANDWICH HALFPENNY TOKEN FOR”.

Reverse: Shield of Arms of the Cinque Ports with legend: “MANUFACTURERS TRADE AND COMMERCE”.

Edge inscription: “PAYABLE AT THOMAS BUNDOCK’S X.X.X.X.”.

Thomas Bundock Jnr., was a freeholder and weaver in Sandwich. The round ship on the obverse is the most elaborate of those depicted on the Cinque Port Tokens, and from the quantity of bunting flying, may indicate royalty aboard.

Engraver – Dixon. Manufacturer – Lutwyche.

D&H Kent No. 39 Diameter 29.2mm

Staplehurst

1794 Kent Staplehurst Halfpenny Conder Token

Obverse: Stag’s head crest above: “I S” cypher with legend: STAPLEHURST HALFPENNY 1794.

Reverse: Prancing horse with legend: FOR CHANGE NOT FRAUD 1794. Unusual with the date on both sides.

Edge inscription: PAYABLE BY I:  SIMMONS STAPLEHURST

John Simmons was a freeholder and tallow chandler with a business in Staplehurst.

Engraver – Arnold                             Manufacturer – Lutwyche

D&H Kent No. 40 Diameter 29.4 mm

Tenterden

1796 Kent Tenterden Halfpenny Conder Token

Obverse: Shield of arms of the Brewers’ Company, TENTERDEN HALFPENNY 1796

Reverse: A horse and dray, and part of a brewhouse. Ex: TO CHEER OUR HEARTS

Edge inscription: PAYABLE AT I & T CLOAKES BREW HOUSE . X X .

D&H Kent No. 42 A. 40

A collection of predominantly English coins from the Tudor era to the present day

%d bloggers like this: