Essex

Essex

County

The arms were officially granted on 15 July 1932.

The arms are those attributed to the ancient Kingdom of the East Saxons. These were regarded as the county arms long before the official grant.

They were also used by Middlesex until they added a saxon crown to the design. The swords are distinctive notched seaxes, and thus an allusion to the word Saxon.

Braintree

The arms were officially granted on October 15, 1974.

The shield is derived from the arms of the two Braintree Councils (Rural and Urban) and the Essex County Council. The two saxon swords or seaxes are the arms of the County Council. The blue lions are from the Braintree Urban District Arms and represent William de Sante Maris Bishop of London and the Lord of the Manor of Braintree in the 12th Century. The black wave edged with white represents the rivers Blackwater, Brain and CoIne.

The crest is based on that of the Halstead Urban District. The wheatsheaf on the grassy mound shows the importance of agriculture. The blue boar Is from the crest of the deVeres – a powerful Halstead family. The red Maltese crest represents the Templars who held the manor at Witham.

The supporters are the black lions of Flanders alluding to the settlements of Flemish weavers in the area. They hold shuttles in their mouths. Round their neck are the white star badges of the deVeres with the green Fleurs-de-Lis.

1794 Essex Braintree Halfpenny Conder Token

Obverse: A building, BRAINTREE & BOCKING HALFPENCE. Ex: MDCCXCIV

Reverse: Figure of Hope. SUCCESS TO TRADE AND COMMERCE. Period midway between legend and anchor

Edge: PAYABLE AT W GOLDSMITHS BRAINTREE ESSEX . X X .

William Clachar, Bookseller, Printer, Bookbinder, Distributor of Stamps, Agent to the Sun Fire
Insurance Office, Appraiser and Auctioneer, at the Medical Warehouse and Public Library.

Engraver—WYON. Manufacturer—KEMPSON. Proprietor—W. GOLDSMITH

D&H 4

Chelmsford

The arms were officially granted on March 3, 1975.

The blue waves represent the Rivers Chelmer and Cam. The indented chief is taken from the arms of Westminster Abbey, holders of the manor. On the chief is a couped saltire from the arms of the Diocese of Chelmsford between mullets from the arms of De Vere, Earl of Essex.The crest has a golden garb, symbolising the former Rural District Council.

Through the garb are thrust a seaxe from the Essex county council arms and a sword from those of the Diocese of London.

The supporters are the blue lions of the Mildmay family. They hold symbols of the modern Diocese and ancient abbey of Diocese. The compartment is a stone bridge, derived from the old Chelmsford arms.The motto is “Many hearts one mind”.

1794 Essex Chelmsford Clachar Halfpenny Conder Token

Obverse: A building, SHIRE HALL

Reverse: A crown, sceptre. KING AND CONSTITUTION 1794

Edge: PAYABLE AT CLACHAR & Co’s CHELMSFORD ESSEX

William Clachar, Bookseller, Printer, Bookbinder, Distributor of Stamps, Agent to the Sun Fire
Insurance Office, Appraiser and Auctioneer, at the Medical Warehouse and Public Library.

Engraver—WYON. Manufacturer—KEMPSON. Proprietor—CLACHAR & Co.

D&H 5

Colchester

These are not registered with the College of arms but are obviously very ancient.

The coat of arms first appeared on the Royal Charter granted by Henry V in 1413. The red represents the blood of Christ; the green cross, the living cross of Saint Helena; the three crowns, the three Kings from the Nativity Story; and the nails holding the three crowns, the nails which held Christ to the cross.

St. Helena was traditionally born in Colchester in the 3rd Century AD. In the early fourth century she made a pilgrimage to the Holy Land and discovered the true cross growing as a tree at Golgotha. Later she is said to have discovered relics of the Magi, now in Cologne (Köln) Cathedral. Three crowns also appear in the arms of Cologne.

The arms were altered at the time of reformation so as not to appear idolatrous. The living cross was changed to two white ragged staves and the nails were removed. These arms were confirmed in 1558 and recorded in use in 1634. The town council reverted to the original arms in 1915.

1794 Essex Colchester Heath Halfpenny Conder Token

Obverse: A view of Colchester Castle (carried out to the edge). Ex:
1794

Reverse: A loom. SUCCESS TO THE BAY TRADE.

Edge: PAYABLE AT CHARLES HEATHS BAY MAKER COLCHESTER . X .

Engraver—WYON. Manufacturer—KEMPSON. Proprietor – C. HEATH

D&H 10

Hornchurch

The arms were officially granted on September 14, 1948.

The roses are from the arms of William de Wykeham, the founder of New College, Oxford, which owns property in the district. The heart is from the arms of Bernard of Savoy, it recalls the medieval Hospice, founded in Hornchurch by Henry II, which belonged to the famous hospice of St. Bernard of Mont Joux in Savoy. The martlet is from the arms attributed to Edward the Confessor and alludes to his historical links with the district.

The crest is derived from the eighteenth century ornamental stone bulls head with copper horns built into the gable-end of the parish church. This refers to the thirteenth century record of ‘Hornedechirche’, (place with) the church embellished with horns, this is perhaps due to the ancient local tanning industry, the main street formerly being known as ‘Pelt Street’.

The motto is from Ecclesiasticus c.41, v.13.

Essex Hornchurch Halfpenny Conder Token Undated

Obverse: Crowned bust, with sceptre.

Reverse: A castle within a shield, &c.

Edge: Plain

Engraver—PONTHON. Manufacturer—BOULTON.

D&H 33

Warley

1794 Essex Warley Heath Halfpenny Conder Token

Obverse: Bust to right, GEORGE PRINCE OF WALES

Reverse: The prince’s crest and motto. HALFPENNY 1 7 9 4

Edge: WARLEY CAMP HALFPENNY . X . X . X .

D&H 36 A. 35

A collection of predominantly English coins from the Tudor era to the present day

%d bloggers like this: