The 1934 arms were replaced on September 20, 1974 as the towns of Kingston-on-Thames and Richmond were no longer in Surrey.
The shield is divided into halves, blue and black. The blue, and also the gold colour in the design are taken from the arms of the Warrennes, the first Earls of Surrey The black derives from the Arms of the towns of Guildford and Godalming. The interlaced gold keys which lie across the shield diagonally represent the power of the ancient Abbey of St Peter at Chertsey which once held extensive lands in Surrey. The keys form part of the Arms of the Diocese of Winchester – which used to include much of Surrey – and have also been retained in the Arms of the Diocese of Guildford. The sprig of oak symbolises Surrey’s extensive rural areas and is drawn from the Badge of the FitzAlans, former Earls of Surrey. It also appears, incidentally, in the mouth of the Supporters of the Arms of the Duke of Norfolk, the present Earl of Surrey.
The woolpack recalls the importance of the wool trade in medieval Surrey and acts as a reminder of the ancient wealth of the County.
The old arms differ by having an ermine bar from the arms of the town of Richmond, and a crown for the town of Kingston-on-Thames.
The arms were granted on December 10, 1965.
The shield is white bearing a black cross with its arms terminating in fleur-de-lis shapes, and surmounted by five gold discs. These elements are all taken from the personal arms of Archbishop John Whitgift. At the top of the shield are a red and blue pair of crossed swords, and a red and blue pair of crossed keys. A sword is the emblem of St Paul; and two keys are the emblem of St Peter: these elements are taken from the arms of Chertsey Abbey, which owned the manor of Coulsdon in the middle ages.
The crest consists of a mural crown, surmounted by a disc of wavy blue and white stripes (symbolising water) which is flanked by an oak branch and a beech branch (taken from elements in the Coulsdon and Purley arms). The supporters are a black lion [taken from the arms of Hyde Abbey at Winchester, which owned the manor of Sanderstead in the middle ages], and a white horse (taken from the arms of the Earls of Surrey, but also, perhaps, representing the manor of Whitehorse in Croydon). They both wear collars (white and black respectively), from which hang spike-footed crosses (taken from the arms of the See of Canterbury).
The Motto means ‘Let us strive after perfection’
1797 Surrey Croydon Halfpenny Conder Token
Obverse: Cypher of “DG” in centre with legend: • HALFPENNEY • PAYBLE AT GARRAWAYS CROYDON
Reverse: A teapot in centre with legend: THE BEST TEAS IN CROYDON • 1797 •
Note the die-sinker’s spelling errors. Garraway was a tea dealer and grocer with a business in Croydon. Listed in Bell’s “Commercial Coins 1787-1804” as “SCARCE”
D&H Surrey No. 7 A. 11
The arms were officially granted on January 8, 1975.
The arms are a combination of the arms of the former Borough of Guildford with the addition of a gold border charged with the Cornish Coughs from the arms of the Guildford RDC.
The crest is very similar to that of the Guildford RDC, suitably differenced by the substitution of a key for the original anchor, which presumably is derived from the keys in the County arms.
1797 Surrey Guildford Prattent Halfpenny Conder Token
Obverse: The arms of Guildford. GUILDFORD HALFPENNY
Reverse: A three-quarter figure of Bishop Blaize,and a woolpack. SUCCESS TO THE WOOLEN MANUFACTORY.
D&H Surrey No. 9 A. 13
Ex. Baldwin’s Vault