Cheshire

Cheshire

County

The arms were officially granted on May 3, 1938.

The shield displays the trio of golden wheatsheaves on blue which have been associated with the Earldom of Chester since the late 12th century. The shield is the same as that known to have been used as the city arms of Chester in 1560 and which can be seen on the bridge at Eastgate, Chester. From 1779 this shield was occasionally used as the Chester Assay Office hallmark.

The crest is a royal lion between two ostrich feathers, referring to the Principality and Palatinate, upon a red mural crown alluding to Chester’s sandstone walls. The feathers franking the shield are supported by gold lions derived from the arms of the third and fourth Earls of Chester.

Chester

The arms were officially granted in 1975.

The arms are those of the city of Chester, with a gold bordure charged with acorns, representing the rural areas added to the city in 1974.

In 1975 two oak branches were added to the crest for the two rural districts and the two castles were added to the supporters for heraldic difference.

Cheshire Chester Charles Roe Halfpenny Conder Token

Obverse: Cypher: “R & Co”: “CHESTER” (Roe & Company) with owl crest.

Reverse: Design of three castles and the points of the compass: “PROMISSORY * HALFPENNY * PAYABLE * AT

Edge: Engrailed

D&H 5 Diameter 29.0 mm.

This was issued by Charles Roe who became a partner in several copper mines, and the famous Anglesey Mines in Wales were first worked under his direction. Roe & Co., owned extensive works for smelting and making copper on land to the east of Macclesfield.

Macclesfield

The arms were officially granted in 1974 and replaced the previous arms from 1960.

In the new arms the lion and garb remained, but a blue bordure with eight gold garbs, representing the eight old Cheshire councils merged in the new borough was added.

The crest represents the Knutsford-Bucklow-Wilmslow area. The grassy mound represents Bucklow Hill, which gave its name to an ancient hundred and modern Rural District. The red lion represents the Egertons of Tatton, who held the hundred’s Court Leet. This lion appeared in Knutsford’s crest. Red lions also occur in the arms of the local Legh, Mallory and Leigh families.
The antique crown occurred in the crests of both Knutsford (coloured gold) and Wilmslow (coloured red). In Knutsford’s case it referred to King Cnut, in Wilmslow’s to the Greg family. In the new crest the crown has a red circlet and gold points. The crest is completed by the white estoile of the Honford family.

The supporters are for the Macclesfield Forest area, which included the towns of Alderley Edge, Bollington and Disley. They are gold stags, from the arms of the Stanley Earls of Derby, Master Foresters and Hereditary Stewards of the Liberty and Hundred of Macclesfield. Stags also occur in the arms of other local families – the Stopfords, Downs and Shrigley families.
Around their necks are garlands of laurel, from the seal of Bollington UDC. From this hangs a black cross-crosslet of the Davenport family, who held the Master Forestership in Norman times. The stags are each standing on a black hunting horn. These occurred in the Sherd and Sutton family arms, who held land in the forest.

The motto – MEMORES BONI CONSILII – Mindful of our worthy purpose – gives the council’s initials.

Cheshire Macclesfield Charles Roe Halfpenny Conder Token

Obverse: Bust of Charles Roe to right: CHARLES ROE ESTABLISHED THE COPPER WORKS 1758

Reverse: Seated female holding cogwheel and tool. Top bar on right points between the Ns, lower bar points to foot of Y, with legend: MACCLESFIELD HALFPENNY 1790

Edge: PAYABLE AT MACCLESFIELD, LIVERPOOL OR CONGLETON * X *

D&H Cheshire No: 20. A. 12. Diameter 30.2 mm.

Cheshire Macclesfield Charles Roe Halfpenny Conder Token

Obverse: Bust of Charles Roe to right: CHARLES ROE ESTABLISHED THE COPPER WORKS 1758

Reverse: Seated female holding cogwheel and tool. Top bar on right points between the Ns, lower bar points to foot of Y, with legend: MACCLESFIELD HALFPENNY 1790. The loop of rope
shorter and level with top of stand.

Edge: PAYABLE AT MACCLESFIELD, LIVERPOOL OR CONGLETON * X *

D&H Cheshire No: 27. Diameter 30.2 mm.

Charles Roe became a partner in several copper mines, and the famous Anglesey Mines in Wales were first worked under his direction. Roe & Co., owned extensive works for smelting and making copper on land to the east of Macclesfield.

A collection of predominantly English coins from the Tudor era to the present day

%d bloggers like this: