The arms were officially granted on June 3, 1925.
The arms are based on those of Hertford, the County town. Before 1925 the County Council used a shield quartered of the arms of Hertford and Saint Albans.
In the 1925 grant the hart supporters have a shield bearing the arms of Saint Albans. The motto was that of the Lord Lieutenant at the time of the grant.