Somersetshire

County

The arms were officially granted on December 29, 1911, the supporters and crest were granted on October 14, 2003.

The arms show a dragon from the attributed arms of the Kingdom of Wessex. The Wessex dragon also features in the arms of the neighbouring counties of Dorset, Avon and Wiltshire. To make the design distinctive, the dragon supports a civic mace. Thus the arms show that this is a local council in Wessex.

The Motto is Sumorsaete Ealle meaning All the people of Somerset.

Bath

The origin of the arms is not known. The oldest image of the arms (the above shield alone) can be seen on a map of Bath, dating from around 1568. Nevertheless rather different arms were recorded by the College of Arms during the Visitations in 1623. These arms, however, were never accepted or used by the city. The city tried in 1888 to have the old arms registered, but the attempt was unsuccessful. The city however, adopted in a local resolution, the old arms as official arms.

In 1971 the city officially applied for new arms and augmentation with supporters, crest and badge. The new arms were granted in 1971, but already in 1974 the local government reorganisation made the arms obsolete. In 1974 the Queen allowed the city to continue the arms granted in 1971. The arms itself show the city wall with two wavy bars for the Avon river and/or the mineral springs in the city. The sword is the symbol of St. Paul, the patron saint of the Abbey and city.

The crest commemorates the coronation of King Edgar in 973, showing the distinctive crown attributed to him. The crown is held by two hands as in the act of coronation. The sleeved hands are based on those of St Dunstan in the Edgar Window in the Abbey.

The supporters are first mentioned in 1590. The city did not always use supporters and also not always the same supporters. The meaning of the two supporters is not known. The shoulder badges show two keys and a sword, the combined symbols of St. Peter and St. Paul, the two patron saints of the Abbey. The wards of the keys are shown in the shape of the letter B for Bath.

The supporters stand on two oak leaves. These refer to the legend of King Bladud, said to have discovered the mineral springs when he was herding his pigs.

The motto is the Roman name for the city, meaning the Water of Sul (Minerva).

PENNIES

Undated Somerset Bath Abbey Church Penny Conder Token

Obverse: View of a cathedral, ABBEY CHURCH BATH

Reverse: View of a public building, GUILDHALL BATH

Edge: Plain (in collar)

D&H Somerset No. 4 A. 2 rated as ‘S’ (Scarce ) in D&H

1794 Somerset Bath Lambe Penny Conder Token

Obverse: A camel, and rays of sun. TEAS COFFEE SPICES & SUGARS. Ex: A five-pointed star.

Reverse: View of a building, INDIA HOUSE 1794 within a circle, M . LAMBE & SON TEA DEALERS & GROCERS BATH *

Edge: ON DEMAND WE PROMISE TO PAY ONE PENNY *

D&H Somerset No. 8 A. 6

Rated RRR (extremely rare) by D&H (?)

HALFPENNIES

1794 Somerset Bath Halfpenny Conder Token

Obverse:  John Jelly’s Bath Religious Botanic Gardens

Reverse: Cedar tree beside overgrown ruin with legend: “EVEN UNTO THE HYSSOP THAT SPRINGETH OUT OF THE WALL”, “1. KINGS: CH: 4. V: 33.”. Obverse: Detailed archway into botanic gardens with legend: “HE SPAKE OF TREES, FROM THE CEDAR TREE THAT IS IN LEBANON”, “BATH TOKEN 1794”.

Edge: Plain

This was issued by John Jelly who owned the Botanic Gardens. He later became bankrupt as a result in 1795.

Ex-Wayne Anderson Collection.

D&H Somerset No. 26. A. 22 Diameter 30.4 mm

Undated Somerset Bath Glover Halfpenny Conder Token (to be sold)

Obverse: GLOVERS LONDON SHEFFIELD & BIRMINGM WAREROOMS BATH

Reverse: No. 39 MILSOM STREET in two lines in centre, LATE BATH & SOMERSETSHIRE BANK.

Edge: PAYABLE AT No. 39 MILSOM STREET . + . + .

D&H Somerset No. 28 A. 24

Undated Somerset Bath Glover Halfpenny Conder Token

Obverse: GLOVERS LONDON SHEFFIELD & BIRMINGM WAREROOMS BATH

Reverse: No. 39 MILSOM STREET in two lines in centre, LATE BATH & SOMERSETSHIRE BANK.

Edge: PAYABLE AT No. 39 MILSOM STREET . + . + .

D&H Somerset No. 28 A. 24

1794 Somerset Bath Gye Debtors Halfpenny Conder Token

Obverse: Arms of the City of Bath with date below with legend: “W. GYE PRINTER & STATIONER BATH 1794”.

Reverse: Benevolence directing her messenger to open a prison. In the foreground are some urns and in the sky, the radiating words “GO FORTH”, with legend: “REMEMBER THE DEBTORS IN ILCHESTER GOAL*”.

Edge: “PAYABLE AT W. GYE’S PRINTER BATH X.X”.

Listed in Bell’s “Commercial Coins 1787-1804” as “SCARCE”.

William Gye was a bookseller, printer and stationer with a business at No. 13, Market Place, Bath. He was also Agent to the Ilchester Debtors and visited the jail weekly, hence the subject of the reverse.

D&H Somerset No: 34. A. 28 Diameter 29 mm.

1794 Somerset Bath Howard Halfpenny Conder Token

Obverse: Bust to left, IOHN HOWARD F.R.S. HALFPENNY.

Reverse: A female seated instructing a boy with a key to unlock the prison doors. GO FORTH radiated REMEMBER
THE DEBTORS IN GOAL

Edge: PAYABLE IN LANCASTER LONDON OR BRISTOL

D&H Somerset No. 36c A. 109c

1794 Somerset Bath Heath Halfpenny Conder Token

Obverse: Bust to left with bow and quiver. BLADUD FOUNDER OF BATH. SUCCESS TO THE BATH WATERS.

Reverse: A tea  urn, IRONMONGERY BRAZIERY & CUTLERY. Ex : F. HEATH. 1794

Edge: PAYABLE BY F : HEATH BATH

D&H Somerset No. 39 A. 31

1795 Somerset Bath Heath Halfpenny Conder Token

Obverse: Bust to left with bow and quiver. BLADUD FOUNDER OF BATH. SUCCESS TO THE BATH WATERS.

Reverse: A public building. WEST FRONT OF NEW PUMP ROOM BATH. HEATH IRONMONGER &c. 1795

Edge: Milled

D&H Somerset No. 40 A. 32

1794 Somerset Bath Lambe’s Halfpenny Conder Token

Obverse: A camel and radiation, TEAS COFFEE SPICES & SUGARS. Ex: A pentagonal star.

Reverse: View of the ” INDIA HOUSE 1794″ within a beaded circle, M. LAMBE & SON TEA-DEALERS & GROCERS BATH.

Edge: PAYABLE BY X M. LAMBE & SON

Ex. Spink October 1977 Lot 174

D&H Somerset No: 50 A. 40

1794 Somerset Bath Lambe’s Halfpenny Conder Token

Obverse: A camel and radiation, TEAS COFFEE SPICES & SUGARS. Ex: A pentagonal star.

Reverse: View of the ” INDIA HOUSE 1794″ within a beaded circle, M. LAMBE & SON TEA-DEALERS & GROCERS BATH.

Edge: Plain

D&H Somerset No: 50k A. 40g

Undated Somerset Bath Halfpenny Conder Token

Obverse: Crowned bust to the right. ALFRED YE GREAT REFOUNDED BATH AD. 900 +

Reverse: View of turreted entrance and city walls: “AND SURROUNDED IT WITH WALLS & TOWERS. +

Edge: PAYNE & TURNER SILVER-SMITHS BATH  . +

Payne and Turner were silversmiths and jewellers in Bath. Listed in Bell’s “Tradesmen’s Tickets and Private Tokens” as “RARE” with only a few pounds weight being struck, however this does not seem to be the case

D&H Somerset No. 65 Diameter 29mm

Obverse:

Reverse: The arms and supporters of Bath, in a sunk oval. BATH CITY TOKEN

Edge: Plain

Rated as scarce by D&H

D&H Somerset No. 69

Undated Somerset Bath Halfpenny Conder Token

Obverse: View of a building. GENERAL HOSPITAL. OPEN TO PEOPLE OF ALL COUNTRIES. BATH ALONE EXCEPTED.

Reverse: The arms and supporters of Bath, in a sunk oval. BATH CITY TOKEN

Edge: Plain

Rated as scarce by D&H

D&H Somerset No. 75

Excerpt from The Original Bath Guide:

“The poor of this city are excepted, because it is supposed that they may enjoy all the benefits of the water at a very moderate expense, and be accommodated in their own houses.

And for this reason it was enacted, that no inhabitant of Bath should be admissible into, or receive any benefit from this establishment. “

UD Somerset Bath Halfpenny Conder Token

Obverse: View of a chapel, ST. MARYS above, CHAPEL below

.Reverse: The arms and supporters of Bath, in a sunk oval. BATH CITY TOKEN

Edge: Plain

Rated as scarce by D&H

D&H Somerset No. 78

1796 Somerset Bath Halfpenny Conder Token

Obverse: Interior of a public building, NOT showing ceiling, with INTERIOR OF NEW PUMP ROOM above it. Ex: BATH ERECTED 1796 .

Reverse: The arms and supporters of Bath, in a sunk oval. BATH CITY TOKEN

Edge: Plain

Rated as scarce by D&H

D&H Somerset No. 82

FARTHINGS

1795 Somerset Bath Lambe’s Farthing Conder Token

Obverse: A tea chest inscribed: M. LAMBE & SON GROCERS BATH, separated by some Chinese characters with legend: SPICES TEAS SUGARS COFFEES.

Reverse: A monogram cypher of: “LL” in centre with legend: A BATH FARTHING TOKEN 1795.

Edge: Plain

Mary Lambe & Son were grocers and tea dealers of Stall Street in Bath.

Ex-Neil Beaton Collection.

D&H Somerset No: 112a. Diameter 23mm

1796 Somerset Bath Lambe’s Farthing Conder Token

Obverse: A tea chest inscribed: M. LAMBE & SON GROCERS BATH, separated by some Chinese characters with legend: SPICES TEAS SUGARS COFFEES

Reverse: A cypher M L & S. PAYABLE ON DEMAND.  1796

Edge: Milled

Mary Lambe & Son were grocers and tea dealers of Stall Street in Bath.

D&H Somerset No: 113

Listed as ‘R’ (Rare) in D&H

1794 Somerset Bath Heath’s Farthing Conder Token

Obverse: A crowned bust to left, with bow and quiver. BLADUD
FOUNDED BATH

Reverse: Bladud driving his swine. THROUGH HIS SWINE. Ex: 1794

Edge: Plain

D&H Somerset No: 115 A. 101

1795 Somerset Bath Heath’s Farthing Conder Token

Obverse: A crowned bust to left, with bow and quiver. BLADUD
FOUNDED BATH

Reverse: Front view of a building, WEST FRONT OF NEW PP. ROOM BATH
Ex: HEATH IRONMONGER &C. 1795

Edge: Plain

D&H Somerset No: 116 A. 102

Bridgewater

The arms were officially granted on September 19, 1952.

The shield carries the design of the seal, which has been used for centuries. The waves of blue in the water refer particularly to the double bore of the river, and the red field may be taken as a reference to the red shield of Douai in France, whence came Walter de Douai who received the grant of the town in Norman times. The star, fleur-de-lis, and leopard’s face are all royal emblems, and indicate the numerous royal charters, beginning with that of King John, which the town has received.

The golden ship represents Bridgwater’s importance as a port in many periods. The sail is decorated with the arms of Admiral Blake, a native of the town, and the black chevron and sheaves may also be considered to allude to the grain and coal traffic.

The lions are further royal emblems, the ropes at their necks allude to another local activity — the hemp industry. The two shields are those of the De Briwere and Trivet families. Bridgwater was granted to the De Briweres in the time of Henry II, and Walter de Briwere founded the Hospital of St John and built the Castle. Sir Thomas Trivet, who bore punning arms of a black trivet on white, completed the bridge over the River Parrett.

1794 Somerset Bridgewater Holloway Conder Halfpenny Token

Obverse: Front view of a house, I. HOLLOWAY AND SON DRAPERS &C. POST OFFICE. Ex: 1794

Reverse: Part of a castle and a bridge. B.WATER HALFPENNY . FOR CHANGE NOT FRAUD.

Edge: ON DEMAND WE PROMISE TO PAY

D&H Somerset No. 86 A. 74

Bristol

The arms were officially granted on August 24, 1569.

The arms are based on the early seals of Bristol, from which the ship and castle theme (signifying a strongly fortified harbour) developed. The shield was in use from about the 14th century, and to this supporters and crest were added in 1569.
The significance of these various items is recorded in the City Audit Books of this time:- the Unicorns will only do homage to men of virtue; the arms in the crest signify that good government depends on wisdom (the serpent) and justice (the scales) and that these are divine gifts from above.

1793 Somerset Bristol Conder Halfpenny Token

Obverse: View of a church tower: ONE HALFPENNY HAWKINS BIRD. WINE STREET NO. 2 BRISTOL

Reverse: View of the old East India House, London : PAYABLE AT THE INDIA TEA WAREHOUSE 1793

Edge: Diagonally milled

Hawkins Bird was a grocer and tea dealer with a business in Bristol. The spire is that of Christ Church situated on Wine Street.

Ex-David Griffiths Collection.

D&H Somerset No. 89 Diameter 28mm

1795 Somerset Bristol Niblock Conder Halfpenny Token

Obverse: A large bale marked N H B No. 1 crest, a leopard, GENERAL COMMISSION & PUBLIC SALE ROOM
BRIDGE STREET BRISTOL. There is no period at end of legend, and
the N on the bale is Italic, whilst the 1 is a square top figure.

Reverse: A figure of Justice standing, dividing the date 17—95. PAYABLE AT NIBLOCK & HUNTER’S.

Edge: Plain

D&H Somerset No. 101. A. 88

1795 Somerset Bristol Niblock Conder Halfpenny Token

Obverse: Two men talking, (I WANT TO BUY SOME CHEAP BARGAINS.) (THEN GO TO NIBLOCK’s , IN BRIDGE STREET.)

Reverse: View of a bridge. BRISTOL TOKEN 1795

Edge: Plain

D&H Somerset No. 103. A. 90

1811 Somerset Bristol Shilling Dalton 26

1811 Somerset Bristol Shilling Dalton 49

1811 Somerset Bristol Farthing W490

Crewkerne

The arms were officially granted on June 1, 1949.

The blue lion is from the arms of the Redvers Earls of Devon, and the red roundels from those of the Courtenays. The swords are from the arms of the Earls Poulett, seated in the neighbouring village of Hinton St George, and influential in the town. The ermine stands for the town’s royal associations.

The flax represents the rope industry and the sail refers to yachting and sail making. Many of the ships in the navy had sails made in Crewkerne. The cross moline is from the arms of Agnes de Monceaux, who founded Crewkerne School, and the drops of blood allude to St. Bartholomew, to whom the parish church is dedicated.

1797 Somerset Crewkerne Conder Halfpenny Token

Obverse: A man weaving in a loom. Four treadles show under man’s left foot

Reverse: PAYABLE | ON DEMAND AT | SPARKS
& GIDLEYS | LINEN & WOOLLEN |
GIRTH WEB | MANUFACTORY | CREWKERNE 1 7 9 7

Edge: Milled

D&H Somerset No. 104

A collection of predominantly English coins from the Tudor era to the present day

%d bloggers like this: