The arms were officially granted on May 10 1974.
The arms are based on those granted to the former Durham County Council on 30th May, 1961. As a change for the new parts of the county added in 1974, the central lozenge in the former County Council’s arms has been replaced by a white rose.
1795 Durham South Shields Conder Halfpenny Token
Obverse: A figure of Faith standing, holding a book. SOUTH SHIELDS HALFPENNY . 1 7 9 4 .
Reverse: A ship. SUCCESS TO THE COAL TRADE
Edge: PAYABLE AT SOUTH SHIELDS AND LONDON . X X .
D&H Durham No. 4 A. 4-5